Friday, June 27, 2008

2 more weeks and the result is ................

Not what I expected for 2 weeks of eating properly and exercising. Last week I wanted to try something different and change it up a bit to see if I would get the same results as the 6 lb week. I came home at night and instead of doing Cardio on the boring treadmill my friend and I worked out to Gallad (Fit TV) everyday @ 6:30 pm. He incorporates light weights and little cardio that help define abs, rear, arms, and legs. I like Gallad he is sort of funny and he has a beautiful Hawaiian beach scenery and skinny/fit good looking people training with him. That definitely motivates me to look better, get in a bathing suit and take the red eye to Hawaii. My basement with a scenery of walls is not doing it for me J. Anyway, so Friday morning came and I was all cheering couldn’t wait to see my hard work pay off. I step on the scale “Drum Roll” and it’s a big huge Goose Egg! No weight lost none, ziltch, notta. I couldn’t believe it. I thought for sure something. I went back read some old emails and comments and tried to figure out what happen. My first week was obviously water weight and after reading everyone’s comments, people said I might not lose the second week. I am hoping maybe it was gaining some muscle mass and burning fat in place of it. Let me know what you think?

Being a little discouraged I decided to step it up some this week and back off of Gallad to see if this would be different. I made sure that during lunch I walked a little more and farther. I came home and did the treadmill at a higher speed and lasted as long as I could which was about 30 min @ 3.5. I only did it 3x this week. I really should have stepped it a little more. That was my exercise for the week. Now on to my eating. Saturday I had a birthday party during the day and a wedding reception at night. I was confused on what to eat, when to eat and first of all what to drink. I decided to just take a cheat day since it would be “rude” of me not to eat some really great home cooked food. I knew it was all pretty unhealthy food, but I couldn’t turn it down when they are excited about me trying it. So, I did small portions at each function. I rolled my own cooler of beer in to the birthday party and the out door wedding reception and had some Beck’s Light with only 64 calories ea. Granted I was better off drinking bug spray, I would have been a little tipsier and no calories. I have gone into soda rehab and I can say my name is Crystal and I have been Soda sober for 21 days now. Clap! Turkey on wheat with some spicy mustard has been my savior. Thank the lord and Butterball I love turkey. I have been eating 6x a day with small portion meals and light snacks in between. This morning I get up and decide to face the scale again “Drum Roll” and I lost 2 more lbs this week. So 8 all together. I’m kind of excited. I hope that is a good number for 21 days of eating healthy and exercising. I know I really need to step up my cardio this week and I am going to try harder and harder to last longer.

I have taken all of your advice and website information to get great ideas on being creative with food and its working. I love all the dishes I have been trying. Self, Spark-people, Healthy living, Women Health Magazine have all been great tools for ideas and workouts.

Please let me know what you think on my progress so far and if I need to change some things.
Thanks
Crystal

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

You seem to be doing a great job and I am enjoying reading your journey. Loosing weight is not an easy road...I know b/c I have been here almost my entire life. Here are some tips I have learned along the road to keep my motivation up!
- Treat yourself to something nice. Ex: Tell yourself when you loose 20lbs you will buy yourself a new purse or head to the beach for a weekend.
- Don't look at the total lbs you want to loose. Think about it occassionally but when you think in 5-10lb increments it makes the hills look easier.
- Think about 5lbs of meat. When you loose 5lbs think about 5lbs of meat and that should help motivate!
- Patience. Patience is the hardest thing to have but "they" say a healthy weight loss is 2-3 lbs a week.
- Think about other factors when you don't loose. One common weight obstacle is a woman's cycle. I weigh in once a week and every 4th week I usually don't loose weight.

Just some tips to think about! Good luck and keep up the good work b/c I am on the same road as you and need your motivation too!

Anonymous said...

Hi, i heard that you were trying to lose weight and had a hard time doing it, i think you are doing a great job so far. I lost 40lbs from middle of January 2008 to middle of June. I could have done it faster, but cheated at times as well. I joined the Quick Weight Loss center amd they are great, they guarantee 3 lbs. a week and their diet is not bad at all. My co-workers also joined and both have lost over 50lbs, I only needed to lose 40 to get down to 130lbs. I would highly recommend them to any person at any age. Keep up the good work.

Anonymous said...

I agree with the first post. Don't look at the numbers and get encouraged/discouraged by those. Look more at how your clothes are fitting and how you feel.
Muscle *is* heavier, but I'm a big fan of adding muscle because it increases your metabolism and burns the fat. So, if you try lifting some weights and adding muscle, your weight on the scale might not go down (or may go up), but you'll burn fat faster and your clothes will fit better. Just a thought../

Anonymous said...

It is possible to go down a jean size or 2 and not lose any "weight" on the scale. Don't beat yourself up. Muscle is more dense than fat, it weighs more. If your clothes are feeling better on and looking better on, it's all good.

Paula said...

I've missed your blogs!! I keep checking back for news and nothing .. please don't get discouraged. I was one of the people that commented about not expecting another 6 lb week. Sometimes what you do this week will not show up until 2 weeks from now .. crazy as that sounds. You've got to try to stop thinking of this as a temporary thing that you're doing to lose this weight, and start thinking of this as a lifetime commitment. If you think you can just eat healthy for now until you lose the 50 lbs, and then you can start eating again you'll be right back where you are now but you'll most likely add a few more pounds with it. Also, don't focus all of your energy on the scales. Think about your overall wellness. Do you feel better now that you're exercising? Do you have more energy? The more you do it, the better you will feel .. I PROMISE!! I think 1 - 2 lbs per week is a very healthy and reasonable goal but don't give up if it is a 0. Keep drinking a lot of water .. water is your friend!! Whole grains too!! You also can't starve yourself. Keep blogging because you are helping me stay inspired. I'll check back next week and good luck this week - YOU CAN DO IT!!!

Anonymous said...

I am super proud of you! I think 8 lbs. is a big success! One thing I will suggest is to try doing 3 days of cardio and add some strength training 1-2 days a week--I know it sounds like a lot, but if you do some weight training for 20 mins prior to your cardio session you'll see big results. (If you strength train first you'll burn more fat for a longer period of time after the cardio session.) I am taking this journey with you and from the comments it looks like several other people are too. So remember, you're not alone, and you can do anything you put your mind to!

Anonymous said...

I don't know your size/weight but I hope this helps to put things in perspective. I am between 5'8 & 5'9. At my heaviest, I weighed 250lbs. At my lightest, I weighed 200lbs. Please don't let the lbs fool you. Losing weight is good, but it helps to focus more on the way your clothes fit you. As stated before "Muscle burns fat". Weight training in addition to cardio will not only knock ogg a few lbs, it will also tone your body! This will help when you prepare for the swimsuit photo. Best of luck to you!! Keep blogging!

Anonymous said...

A great video to try:
Kathy Smith: Lift Weights to Lose Weight.

The video is divided into 2 twenty minute sections. The first is arms and the second is legs.

I love this video because it is easy to follow; nothing complicated and it is short! If you only have time or feel like doing arms, you can do legs the next day.

Anonymous said...

I am so proud of you as well! Keep it up, you will feel so much better and your health will thank you!
A video that i have been using for the past month is the FIRM.It is a cardio-weight program and I really do like it. you can pick it up at Kohl's and not pay the $20 like i did for shipping. It is a series of 4 videos with several different instructors who are all upbeat and motivating. It also comes with a calendar of when to work out with which video, and also offers an "express" workout for when you don't have an entire 50 minutes to work out. Another great thing they offer in the booklet is a sample menu to help you with some healthier food options.
keep up the GREAT work! just know that so many people are proud of you!

Anonymous said...

Well, I am 27 I weigh almost 300lbs. I have tried numerous things to lose weight. I don't know what else to do. I walk every night around the neighborhood 5-6 times with my dogs. The only thing I think I am doing wrong is eating late. I don't get home until 6 or after and after I cook a decent meal its about 8o'clock. Its crazy ridiculous. I don't really want to leave my e-mail because I don't want it posted for everyone to see.

Chandrad said...

Crystal,

Fantastic job! I am committed to losing 70 lbs before my 20 year high school reunion in May 2009! I also want to lose the weight for my 1-year old son. I do not want him to have a fat Mom. So I have started slowly, cutting out sugar first (that's my trigger food). Reducing alcohol consumption- limit to weekends (still working on that one, I like my wine). Reducing carb in-take and fried foods. I have also started exercising 3-4 times a week. I am just doing cardio at this point. If you ever want to go on a long power walk in Piedmont Park, let me know!

I am training for the 10 mile Sunday walk for the 2-Day Breast Cancer Walk in September. I am trying to set reasonable fitness goals to keep me motivated.

I am also going on vacation to Costa Rica next week. I plan to continue to avoid sugar, but I will probably drink more alcohol, it is vacation for goodness sake! I also plan to continue my exercise program. We have a bunch of tour things planned-- canopy tour/zip line, ATV tour, sunset cruise, etc.

I have lost about 3.5 lbs in the lat 10-12 days. I think if I increase my exercise this week and cut down on carbs and wine this week I may be able to lose another 3 lbs before we leave on the 17th. I walked Monday and today. I am going to walk Wednesday, Thursday and Saturday. Wish me luck! You have inspired me to add some weights, while I walk or after I do my cardio.

Good luck to you!

Anonymous said...

I think it is way to early for you to be having "cheat" days, especially if it includes drinking beer which is the WORST thing you can do on a diet. It is like taking one step forward and three steps back.
Also, I would suggest you do some type of cardio EVERYDAY. With the amount of food you are eating everyday, 30 mins 3 times a week is not going to cut it. Your cardio has to outweigh your caloric intake to have continuous weightloss.
If you have to drink, have a glass of wine, maybe even a spritzer with soda water to make it last or vodka mixed with soda or water. (No sugary mixers.)
You probably need to start wieghing your food. 6 meals a day with snacks in between is A LOT of food. Yes, eating small portions throughout the day speeds up metabolism however when you are trying to lose as much as you are in a short amount of time you REALLY have to watch quantity of food and caloric intake.
Sorry if this sounds harsh but there were a lot of "red flags" in your last blog that sounded like you were moving back instead of forward.
The scale thing is always a debate. I don't think you need to weigh yourself as long as you feel good and your clothes fit well. But you have set the 50 lb goal so you have to have some sort of measure. (Maybe a pair of jeans or a dress that you want to wear to the reunion?)
If you are going to incorporate the weight training you should measure inches in addition to weighing yourself. You can measure inches once a week, keep the scale to every two weeks or less.
Keep up the hard work!!